Twenty years ago, on September 10, 2002, Miami-Dade County voters approved a referendum creating The Children’s Trust to invest, support and advocate on behalf of children and families in the county. On that day and when voters reauthorized The Trust in 2008, they took a leap of faith, and the results have been nothing short of game-changing.
Two decades. 7,305 days, 1,040 weeks, and 260 months later, The Children’s Trust is an essential organization for children and families in Miami-Dade County. Like the children served over the years, The Children’s Trust has grown up. Our growth and has been shaped by learning, growth, challenges and successes that have led to direct impact on thousands of lives.
The Trust has a greater impact today than ever before. As such, it bears a great deal of responsibility and accountability. And as the organization looks forward to another 20 years and beyond, it is important to reflect on how it came to be the organization it is today.
Both as a celebration of accomplishments and as context for how to approach and overcome challenges the community faces today and tomorrow, The Children’s Trust is proud to look back at its history as it crosses the 20th Anniversary milestone.
Over the next year, The Trust will highlight its impact, through measurable facts and statistics, but also through stories of how it has positively affected individual children and families and helped them along the way.
Click on the links below to explore different aspects of The Trust’s history and scroll below to watch the stories of some of the children served.
- NEW! How The Children's Trust Impacts Lives - Click here
- NEW! School Board Issues Proclamation Honoring 20th Anniversary of The Trust - Click here
- Silvio Plata Feature - 20th Anniversary Story - Click here
- Miami Community Newspapers Special Edition 20 Years Nurturing Greatness - Click here
- Destiny Delancy Feature - 20th Anniversary Story - Click here
- Yasmin Snyder Feature - 20th Anniversary Story - Click here
- HistoryMiami Museum: The Children's Trust 20th Anniversary Exhibition - Click here
- Origins of The Trust - Click Here
- Florida Statute allowing for The Trust - Click here
- Miami-Dade County Ordinance establishing The Trust - Click here
- September 10, 2022, Proclaimed “The Children’s Trust Day” - Click here