A collaborative initiative of The Children’s Trust and Actors’ Playhouse, Young Talent Big Dreams (YTBD) was created to inspire kids ages 8-17 to showcase their unique gifts and vie for a chance to win life-changing prizes like performing arts scholarships, masterclasses and performance opportunities at public events. Other draws for competitors – aside from a supportive environment and the guidance and feedback of YTBD’s kindly compassionate and considerate mentors and judges – are monetary prizes, tickets to must-see local attractions and theatre performances, and a trip to attend the Teen Choice Awards in Los Angeles.
More than 500 hopefuls are expected to audition this year – the competition’s ninth – across six categories: pop/rock/rap vocals, musical theatre/jazz standards/classical vocals, musical instrument, original spoken word, original vocal and/or instrumental composition, and dance. Groups of two to six members may also compete in the categories of dance, musical instrument and band/vocal. Young Talent Big Dreams is modeled after such popular shows as The Voice and American Idol; judges write down their thoughts and comments on every act that auditions, and later share them with participants who advance to the semifinal rounds in order to guide performance improvement.
“Young Talent Big Dreams provides an amazing opportunity for kids to experience what it’s like to be on a professional stage – we see competitors coming back year after year after year,” says YTBD Director and Master of Ceremonies Earl Maulding. “I attribute that to the professional help, encouragement and nurturing they get here, and the opportunity to grow.”
When to Go & What to Know
Keep these upcoming audition dates and details on hand!
• Sunday, March 31, 1-5 p.m. South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center, 10950 SW 211th Street, Cutler Bay, FL 33189
• Saturday, April 6, 2-7 p.m. Miracle Theatre
• Sunday, April 7, 1-6 p.m. Miami Arts Studio, 15015 SW 24th Street, Miami FL 33185
• Saturday, April 13, 1-6 p.m. City of Miami Little Haiti Cultural Complex, 212 NE 59th Terrace, Miami, FL 33137
• Saturday, April 20, 2-7 p.m. Miracle Theatre
Semifinal auditions will be held at the Miracle Theatre on April 27 at 7 p.m. and April 28 at 3 p.m.; finals will also take place there on Saturday, May 4, at 7 p.m.
• Participants must be residents of Miami-Dade County between the ages of 8 (as of their preliminary audition date) and 17 (as of May 4, 2019).
• Audition performances should be 60 seconds or less, no exceptions.
• If singing or playing an instrument, the act must perform live (no lip-syncing).
• Vocalists must perform with musical accompaniment. This can be a karaoke-type track on a smartphone or mp3 player, or other playback music with no lead vocals.
• All material, costumes and lyrics must be age appropriate.
• Each act may audition one time per competition year.
Complete rules, forms and additional information are available at www.actorsplayhouse.org.