The Children’s Trust conducts annual program observation for the purpose of assessing program quality and implementation. These observations will begin in mid-January for youth development programs. Youth development programs have long sought to create settings where youth can develop talents, build relationships and connect with caring adults. Meanwhile, an increased focus on social and emotional learning (SEL) in these programs has created a strong call for understanding measurement both of social and emotional outcomes and SEL program quality.
The Youth Program Quality Intervention (YPQI) has been adapted to include a Social Emotional Learning Program Quality Assessment (SEL PQA) and Staff Rating of Participant Behavior. The SEL PQA has a greater focus on the quality of SEL instructional practices and growth of students’ SEL skills. This new tool will be used by Content Area Teams (CAT) to observe all Youth Development 6-12 programs. While the MINI will still be used as the CAT observation tool for Youth Development K-5 programs this year, we would like to train all of our Youth Development programs in this new tool. This training will prepare participants to conduct program self- assessment using the SEL PQA.
Please see details below and register to participate.
We ask that each Youth Development program identify 1-2 staff that will attend both the SEL PQA Kickoff Webinar and the SEL PQA Basics training. We are only able accommodate a maximum of 2 staff from each program. We encourage directors and/or staff in a leadership position to attend.
- Become familiar with the “quality construct” that the SEL PQA represents.
- Learn the structure of the SEL PQA and how to use & score the instrument.
- Develop keen observation and note-taking skills to generate rich and precise anecdotal evidence.
- Understand the Assess-Plan-Improve cycle
- Apply new skills to score items on a SEL PQA through a consensus meeting.
- Develop an implementation plan for conducting your self-assessment.
WHO: The 1-2 program staff that attended the SEL PQA Kickoff Webinar
WHEN: Program staff will register for one of the sessions:
- Monday, January 14, 2019, 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, January 16, 2019, 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Accessible by MetroRail and MetroMover
Validated parking available for $5.00:
Miami-Dade Cultural Center Garage
50 NW 2nd Ave
Miami, FL 33128