Children continue to be put in harms way as a result of being left in hot cars, especially in the South Florida summer. It's more important than ever to be aware of ways to make sure parents and caregivers put in place safeguards to ensure that they never forget young children in their vehicles.
Support pending legislation requiring manufacturers to include technology in cars alerting parents and caregivers so that they don’t accidently leave kids in the car. But that’s not enough! Here are 5 Ways to Make Sure You Don’t Leave Your Child in the Car.
- Always Leave Your Bag, Suitcase or Phone Next to Your Child in Car Seat: That way you are forced to retrieve the items next to your child when you exit the car.
- Invest in Technology: There are all manner of car seat and motion sensors available to remind you that your child is in the car.
- Buy a Car with Backseat Reminder Technology: Models like the GMC Acadia, Kia Telluride and Hyundai Santa Fe have motion sensors reminding drivers that someone is in backseat when the car turns off.
- Get an App: Try the free Kars 4 Kids Safety App which sounds a customizable “Don’t Forget Your Kid” alarm when the car turns off (vehicle must have Bluetooth technology) or find another app.
- Take Your Time: We know life can get crazy for everyone, but whenever possible and especially when you are stressed and in a hurry, remember to take a breath and slow down. Nothing is as important as your kids.