The Children's Trust is an independent special district, authorized by Florida Statute 125.901 and created by Miami-Dade County Ordinance on December 3, 2002, and governed by a board of directors. The main responsibility of the board is to allocate funds to other agencies in Miami-Dade County that are operated for the benefit of children and youth. The Children's Trust has accomplished much for children and families in Miami-Dade County over the last five years of operation. Our current budget is $166 million.
The governing board of The Children's Trust is made up of thirty-three (33) members as defined by county ordinance. Within the membership are seven members named by the governor and four members-at-large as appointed by a majority of the sitting members of the governing board.
Candidates for the board should have the following knowledge, abilities and skills:
- An awareness of the needs of children and families in Miami-Dade County
- Extensive professional experience with executive leadership accomplishments
- A dedication to the mission of improving the lives of children and families
- The ability to work collaboratively and savvy diplomatic skills
- Demonstrated cultural competence
- A record of effective advocacy for children
- A record of service on volunteer and/or public boards
Candidates must be a resident of Miami-Dade for at least 24 months. Please download the detailed board member role description (pdf) for more information.
All board members are expected to attend the monthly meeting of the board, and actively participate as a member of at least one board committee which meets monthly, in addition to the meeting of the board as a whole. Each board member is required to file financial disclosure statements and abide by the Florida Code of Ethics.
In order to avoid a conflict of interest, the by-laws of the board prohibit a staff member of any agency from serving on the board if more than 10 percent of the agency's budget is provided by The Children's Trust. No portion of a board member's salary may be paid through funding provided by The Children's Trust.
Please refer to the Grants section for more information on major initiatives funded by The Children's Trust. Also available are the agencies currently funded, and other information on the work of The Trust.
At-Large Board Member Positions
The Children’s Trust is currently accepting applications for an At-Large Board Member position. An at-large member serves a two-year term, and may serve a maximum of two additional terms, with each term lasting a period of 2 years.
The selection process is as follows:
- The Trust advertises the vacant board position to solicit interested persons.
- Each applicant completes the application by the due date.
- All applications are reviewed by staff of The Children’s Trust to compile a list of qualified applicants.
- Staff will ensure that each applicant resides in Miami-Dade County and has consecutively lived in the county for 24 months prior to submission of the application.
- A subcommittee of the board of directors will interview all qualified applicants. Subcommittee meetings, including applicant interviews, are open to the public.
- After all interviews are completed, the subcommittee will bring its recommendation to the Board of Directors for final approval.
To submit an application, please proceed to the application and follow the instructions.
Application Deadline: Wednesday, February 10, 2021
If you have any questions, please contact the Clerk of the Board, Muriel Jeanty, at 305.571.5700 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Most meetings are held at the offices of The Children's Trust located at 3150 SW 3rd Avenue, Miami, FL 33129.
The Children’s Trust desires to maintain the highest level of integrity and transparency in all its endeavors and abides by statutory regulations which are promulgated in the State of Florida Code of Ethics for Public Officers and Employees (Chapter 112, Part III of Florida Statutes) and The Children’s Trust Ordinance, Ordinance #02-247, §9 (codified as §2-1529 of Miami-Dade County Code).
If you have questions about board membership or the application process, please email Muriel Jeanty, Clerk of the Board, at email@example.com, or call her at 786.598.2280.